Big White Wall takes your safety very seriously and we would encourage you to do the same.
- Contact a Wall Guide through the ‘Ask a Wall Guide’ button if you are concerned about how another member is behaving with you or with other members - do not hesitate - better safe than sorry - Wall Guides will not identify that you have alerted them
- Do not use real names or identifiable details about you - like where you live, your employer/college, family or friends’ names - in the ‘About me’ section of ‘My profile’
- Do not upload identifiable photographs of yourself or others onto bricks or avatars.
- Do not share your login details including email and password and username with anyone including those who are and who are not members of Big White Wall such as friends or family
- If you do not want anyone to know that you are using Big White Wall access your account through a third party computer in a safe location or create a new email account to which only you know the login details
- Do not use the real names or identifiable details about other people in your posts and bricks
- Do not upload pictures of real people onto bricks unless it is possible to fully disguise their identity
- Do not tell your family or friends or others about being on Big White Wall if you do not want to run the risk of them identifying your posts
- Do not exchange any personal details including your name, address, email, telephone number, where you live/work/study or bank details with your Big White Wall friends or others on Big White Wall
- Do not exchange any personal details including your name, address, email, telephone number, where you live/work/study or bank details with Wall Guides or other Big White Wall staff
- Never agree to meet someone you meet on Big White Wall offline including Wall Guides and other Big White Wall staff. Without wishing to scare you, remember that not everyone portrays themselves online as they are in real life.
- If you wish to make a formal complaint about a member of Big White Wall or a Wall Guide please contact us
- Please be aware that technological failures can happen. The site may go down or there may be errors that cause misunderstanding, loss of messages or breach of anonymity. As far as possible, we let you know if there are going to be or have been technological errors. However, the system is not foolproof. Please Get in touch if you think a technological error may have caused any issues that affect your safety or use of the site.
What you can do to stay safe in LiveTherapy
- Ensure you are in a private space where you cannot be overheard
- If you are using a shared computer and do not wish anyone to see your browsing history, you can set your browser safety settings to private browsing. Alternatively you can delete your browsing history after the session
- Don’t forget to ensure that after you have ended your session and finished any time on the Wall, that you Sign out of Big White Wall before walking away from your computer
- Discuss issues regarding safety with your therapist and be open about any concerns
- Use the rest of the Wall should you need further support or need advice from a Wall Guide outside of your therapy session
What we do
- Trained Wall Guides are present 24/7 to respond to any worries or concerns at all you have about other members behaviour on Big White Wall
- Trained Wall Guides are present 24/7 to respond to any worries or concerns at all you have about members being at immediate risk of causing harm to themselves or others
- All content (except notes from individual therapy sessions which are available to you and your BWW therapist) on Big White Wall is read by Wall Guides
- Wall Guides send you a message if they think you have used a real name or other identifying information without realising
- There is an immediate alert system for members using words like suicide, cutting, help or abuse that will get a high priority response from a Wall Guide
- There is an immediate alert system for members scoring themselves as suicidal on a test that will get a high priority response from a Wall Guide
- Wall Guides and Therapists follow clear policies and procedures for members at risk of harming self or others on Big White Wall and for inappropriate behaviour
- Wall Guides do not have access to your email address or registration data which is kept separate from your user name
- Therapists only have access to your real name, address and other identifying information if you are an NHS client referred to BWW or if you choose to give the therapist this information in an individual Therapy agreement.
- Wall Guides, Therapists and other members of Big White Wall staff are advanced checked for criminal records
- Wall Guides, Therapists and other Big White staff will never ask you for any personal details including your name, address, email, telephone number, where you live/work/study or bank details unless this agreed with your BWW Therapist in an individual Therapy session.
If you have suggestions for how we can improve safety on Big White Wall please Get in touch